On Saturday, January 30, 2010, members of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) will come together to celebrate SABR and all things baseball. Chapters and members across the US and Canada will gather for everything from Hot Stove discussions to research presentations to guest talks by former players to a Dice Base Ball Tournament (scheduled to be played outside in Vermont).
SABR has 55 chapters in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, and Japan. Approximately 10% of the membership attends SABR’s national convention each year, making local chapters a key part of the nationwide (and worldwide) community of baseball fans who make up the heart of SABR. SABR Day is an alternative to gathering members in one place by having as many members as possible come together on the same day—regardless of where they live. And every SABR Day gathering is open to all baseball fans; SABR membership is not required.
The Society for American Baseball Research is an international, member-driven nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster the research, preservation, and dissemination of the history and record of baseball. More information is available on SABR’s website at: www.sabr.org.
A sampling of scheduled events and locations is below. The full list of chapter and member events is available at: www.sabr.org. All times are local times on January 30, 2010.
Bob Davids Chapter (VA)
· Time: 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
· Location: Holiday Inn Rosslyn at Key Bridge 1900 North Fort Myer Drive Arlington, VA 22209-1602
· Agenda: Guests include former Orioles pitcher Scott McGregor, member Dave Smith, and Nationals blogger Mike Henderson. Also research presentations from members
Boston Chapter (MA)
· Time: 5:30 p.m.
· Location: McGreevy's, 911 Boylston St., Boston
· Agenda: dinner and post-dinner baseball chat
Charlotte Chapter (NC)
· Time: 11:30 a.m.
· Location: Villa Francesca, 321 North Caldwell Street, Charlotte, NC 704/333-3447
· Agenda: gets together for a presentation by Brett Friedlander, author of Chasing Moonlight: The True Story of Field of Dream's Doc Graham
Lefty O'Doul (San Francisco) & Sacramento Chapters (CA)
· Time: 1:00 p.m.
· Location: Armadillo Willy's, 4480 Tassajara Rd., Dublin, CA
· Agenda: Trivia contest, update from board member, research presentations
Michigan Joint Meeting (Detroit, Don Lund (Ann Arbor), & Wally Pipp (Holland)
· Time: 1:00-4:00 p.m.
· Location: Michigan Historical Museum, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI
· Agenda: Optional lunch (Clara's Lansing Station, 637 E. Michigan Ave at 11:45 a.m.), trivia, research presentation, tour of museum, optional dinner/drinks (Michigan Brewing Co. Pub, 402 Washington Square S, 4:15 p.m.)
Northwest SABR Chapter (WA)
· Time: 12:00-3:00 p.m.
· Location: Mariner's FanFest, Seattle, WA
Pee Wee Reese Chapter (KY)
· Time: TBA
· Location: Louisville Slugger Museum, 800 West Main St., Louisville, KY
Rocky Mountain SABR Chapter (CO)
· Time: TBA
· Location: Denver, CO (TBA)
· Agenda: Hot Stove, research presentation, point-counterpoint debate on instant replay in baseball, trivia contest, silent auction
Utica-Cooperstown Chapter (NY)
· Time: 10:00 a.m.
· Location: Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, NY
Vermont Chapter (Burlington)
· Time: 10:00 a.m.
· Location: Church Street, Burlington, VT (TBA)
· Agenda: Dice Base Ball tournament (outside, weather permitting)
January 12, 2010
Celebrate SABR Day!