I am from Longmeadow, Massachusetts (yes I know a Yankee fan from Mass?!). My dad grew up in New York City and I have been going to Yankee games since I was 5. I attend Quinnipiac University and will be graduating in May. I have watched or followed almost every Yankee game dating back to at least 2002. Hopefully I can provide some new insight and opinions as we go forward. I consider myself a fan that combines sabermetrics with what I have watched on TV over the past 10 years.
I think the best way to get to know a Yankee fan is to hear his/her opinions on certain Yankee topics. So to introduce myself I have made a list of my top Yankee opinions/ pet peeves (in no particular order). Hopefully we will have plenty of time to discuss these in the future and feel free to add your own comments at the bottom.
- Joba should be a starter (Yankees messed this up, badly.)
- Brett Gardner should never bunt ever. Period. (Having the guy on your team that takes the most pitches and is least likely to make an out bunt makes no sense.)
- Joe Girardi is underrated. He is one of the best bullpen managers in the game and it is not a coincidence the Yankees’ bullpen has been at the top the league since he took over. It’s also not a coincidence that we haven’t had a Paul Quantrill, Scott Proctor, Ron Villone situation since he’s been here.
- Kevin Long is one of the best, if not the best hitting coaches in baseball.
- The reason everyone likes A-Rod now is because he has hired a very expensive PR team to fix everything. I know this means nothing, but it surprises me how no one ever talks about this.
- Hitters with high OBP and pitchers that get strikeouts lead to winning baseball. I understand there is more, but when the Yankees make a trade or sign a free agent this is what I look at first. It is also a great way to see if a prospect will make it in the show.
- I have no problem with the Yankees leaving Jesus Montero at AAA this year. One of two things is going to happen. Russell Martin is going to have a productive year or he will be replaced by Montero. Both of these situations are fine and credit Brian Cashman for getting Martin away from the Sox.