"I don't do extensions," Steinbrenner told FanHouse. "It's a policy I have, one I've always had."This is perplexing to me. George Steinbrenner had his facial hair policy, which is still in order today, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he passed down this extension policy to Hal. At least Joe Girardi, whose contract expires after this season, doesn't appear to be angry.
"I don't worry about my contract," Girardi said. "I worry about this year. I wouldn't expect them to talk to me about it till it's over."If I'm Girardi, I'd be a little upset the Steinbrenners won't negotiate an extension before his contract expires. It's a matter of job security, and I think a World Series championship in his second year warrants some green flowing Girardi's way. Dare I say it, it's almost unclassy not to extend his contract or at least reach a verbal agreement.
People can argue the Series wasn't won by the team, rather than Girardi. Well, he didn't do anything to screw it up, and that's an accomplishment when you have one of the most scrutinized jobs in New York.
Here's a small link dump for the articles I found amusing or worth your time:
- Kung-Fu Panda gained weight (he's probably my favorite NL player)
- Brett Gardner's not just fast, but the fastest in MLB
- The Yankee U has another post with a picture worth a click
- Although the text is a little hard to read, an interview with Chad Jennings is worth copying and pasting into a Word document
- Missing the football Giants? This may cheer you up